Linear Power Supply High Performance for Analog Eurorack Modular Synthesizer +12/-12/+5v @ 3A/1.8A/1A
The Metatronic Mods Linear Power Supply was designed for Eurorack modular synthesists with discerning ears. LDO regulators put clean power where it matters: +12V @ 3A and -12V @ 1.8A. And a bonus 5V switching regulator can supply all of your digital modules (standard assembly includes 500mA 5V regulator, up to 1000mA available by request).
Linear power supplies based on full-wave center tapped rectification followed by voltage regulation have been a mainstay for powering high fidelity audio circuits for decades. And for good reason. This circuit architecture lends itself to clean power and minimal ground interference between subsystems. This 21CFP power supply uses the same tried and true circuit architecture, yet takes advantage of the improvements in semiconductor design which have been made in the decades since it's original conception. The commonly used 78xx/79xx series linear regulators have been replaced with newer devices boasting higher efficiency and increased stability. And additional steps have been taken to ensure this supply is well suited for it's intended application (powering modular synthesizers) even when operating externalities are less than ideal.
- Low noise, high output current, analog PSU.
- PCB Dimensions: 8.25"(21cm) x 3.6"(9.1cm)
- Max suggested simultaneous output current per voltage rail:
- +12V ~ 2500mA
- -12V ~ 1500mA
- +5V ~ 1000mA
- Voltage Ripple & Noise @20MHz Bandwidth:
- +12V 2.53mVRMS / 10.4mVP-P measured at 3000mA load.
- -12V 2.53mVRMS / 10.4mVP-P measured at 1500mA load.
- +5V 16.8mVRMS / 64mVP-P measured at 1000mA load.
- Highly stable linear regulators for powering analog gear on the +/-12V rails.
- Switching regulator for efficiently powering digital modules on the +5V rail.
- Input side NTC thermistors minimize wear and tear on transformer and PSU.
- Widest possible smooth traces on double thickness copper clad board provide low impedance current paths.
- Individual cartridge fuses before regulators and status indicator LEDs after, for each output rail.
- High quality components, designed to last.
- 8 Output connections can accommodate Eurorack standard pin headers, 6.3mm quick connect tabs (connector type found on Doepfer, Clicks&Clocks and other Bus Boards,) or wire to board connections.
The 78xx regulators typical of this design have been substituted with modern equivalents which boast increased efficiency, lower noise, and much larger output currents. With proper heat sinking and ventilation, this power supply is capable of producing up to 3000mA on the +12V rail, 1500mA on the -12V rail, and 1000mA on the +5V rail.
In addition, and in part because of the greater power output of this supply, special care has been taken in selecting high quality passive components which exceed the specs. required for this design. As well, protection elements have been included on both the input and output sides of the supply. NTC thermistors on the AC input provide for a "soft start," minimizing the wear and tear on the supply transformer and bridge diodes. And separate fuses on each of the three output rails keep the rest of your system safe in the event of an electric surge.
BOM and Digikey Cart Share: http://www.digikey.com/short/q3jp88
Special note for customers in locales that use 100V:
You will need to order this transformer instead (VPM24-4170)